Caring for our special needs community takes a lot of love and support from many angles. It also takes knowledge and skill to handle a wide variety of needs. Throughout the year we offer trainings and resources to support our volunteers as much as possible.
Most of our volunteers come to us with no background in disability, but sense God’s calling to serve Him in this unique area. Our volunteers have many different ages, backgrounds, and experiences. Whether you are in high school, college, single, married, young, or young-at-heart, we have a place for you. A willing heart to learn and a commitment to this ministry is all you need. You will fall in love with our kids and realize what a privilege it is to be a part of the spiritual growth and encouragement of the kids and their families. Often, the volunteers mention that they are the ones being blessed the most!
All of our volunteers are encouraged to participate in training each fall. This training includes:
- Testimony and devotions reminding us of Christ’s call on our lives
- General disability information
- Training including local speakers, DVDs, and other disability resources
- Overview of the Heimlich maneuver, CPR, use of Epi-Pen, and recognizing asthma attacks and seizures led by a registered nurse
- Plans for the year, including curriculum selection and division of tasks
- Getting to know the individuals being served in each department of the ministry and how to best help them succeed in their time at church
Volunteers Activities Throughout the Year
Continuing education will be provided throughout the year in the format of a couple of informational speakers as well as resources handed out either on Sunday mornings or through email.
Our Vision for our Volunteers
- Attend worship services weekly, maintaining a growing personal relationship with Christ. Our students and their families are often needy, requiring us to give what only the Holy Spirit can do through us.
- Make your role in Barnabas a high personal priority. As we conscientiously prepare, then offer our best to our students, the Holy Spirit will bless our preparation and do His work in their hearts.
- Be a dependable member of the Barnabas Special Needs Team. We lean on one another regularly in this ministry and our students and their families need to be able to count on us for them to attend.
- Pray regularly for each of your students, their families, and our ministry. Call on the Barnabas Prayer Team with your prayer requests and praises.
- Participate in the various training opportunities and Barnabas activities when possible.
- Communicate with the director and/or leadership regarding ministry concerns.